This publication presents the schools of the Ballina Inspectorate at this time - Education Week, 1959 - and their origins.


The first school in this area was situated a few hundred yards along the Coorabell Road at McLeod's Shoot, and it was officially named the Provisional School, Granuaille.

It opened on July 14, 1890, with an enrolment of 26. Surnames of the families enrolled were: Rice, Boyle, O'Keefe, Smith, French, Bryen, Bonnell, and Hayter. This school was moved to the present site and reopened on April 23, 1895, with an enrolment of 26, being then known as the Provisional School, Tyagarah.

The actual school building was moved by the late Mr. W. Flick, being conveyed on his bullock waggon.

Family surnames in this school, on the opening date, were: Smith, Buckley, Flick, Clark, Nixon, Carter, Grebert, Fletcher and Atkins. The name of this school was changed to Ewingsdale on the 13th March, 1909.

This early school was replaced on September 12, 1911. The present weather shed was constructed from timber taken from the old school building.

The records disclose that 1,277 children have been enrolled, 672 boys and 602 girls. The school's enrolment was highest in 1909, when 71 pupils attended.

The school residence was constructed in 1910, the first occupying teacher being Mr. W. V. Cochrane.

Teachers-in-Charge of the school since 1900 have been: C. S. Dunlop, A. Meares, J. Jones, W. V. Cochrane, W. J. Milgate, F. G. Asser, C. W. Ford, W. C. Schuhmacher, R. J. Wilkinson and J. C. Atkin. Mr. W. J. Milgate was in charge of the school from 1917 until 1936.

One of the Teachers-in-Charge in the early part of the century received 120 per annum. for teaching over 50 pupils.

The much-admired school ground provides a well-grassed playing area with ample shade trees, some of which are 60 years old. These trees, together with a line of weeping figs planted along the Pacific Highway in 1936 are a striking feature of Ewingsdale.


The local P. and C. association has rendered sterling service to the school. Some of the items of equipment purchased by the P. and C. are as follows: a piano, duplicator, projector, wireless, radiogram, 3 sets of reference books valued at 91, 200 books for the school 1ibrary, and text books in Social Studies, English, Arithmetic, and Spelling, besides various items of sporting and manual work equipment.

The piano, incidentally, was purchased in 1913 for 20 and is still giving good service.

Notable amongst the many outstanding persons who have served the P. and C. is Mr. Harry Gill, who was on the executive for over 20 years. The P. and C. is an interested active body. The present executive is composed of the following: President, Mr. H. Hancock; vice-presidents, Messrs. 0. Archer and B. Cavanagh; secretary, Mrs. A. McSwan; treasurer, Mr. N. Anderson; auditors, Messrs. N. Higgins and W. Stanford.


The Ewingsdale branch of the Junior Farmers, Club was formed in 1950. This club has been of great value to many young people in the district. it has regularly participated in the annual Junior Farmer function at Wollongbar, besides holding field days of its own in the Ewingsdale district. The president, Mr. P. G. Hart, has been a tower of strength to the club since its formation. Other officers are Mr. R. Rose, vice-president; Mr. H. Fowler, secretary, and Mrs. A. Pellagreen. treasurer. Besides its farming interests the club encourages its members to partake in public speaking by means of debates and lecturettes.

The present enrolment of the school is 32, consisting of 19 girls and 13 boys.


Each year on Commonwealth Day a school picnic is held in the grounds, being well attended by both adults and children. An open day during Education Week, participation In the P.S.AA.A. sports organised by the teachers of the Bangalow-Byron Bay area, and a Christmas tree function in December are other activities in which the school engages.

A Ewingsdale School Council and Nature Knowledge Club are two aids towards training the pupils in civics.

Each year two or three students from the Armidale Teachers' College attend the school for teaching practice.

Pupils from the school continue their secondary school education at Mullumbimby High School, which they reach by travelling either on the bus or the train.

A large box of books is received thrice yearly from the Public Library in Sydney, these books being a welcome addition to our reading matter.

North Coast School Histories

North Coast School Histories: as transcribed by Kathy Pearson and posted to NorCo List. STATUS QUO MCMLIX This publication presents the schools of the Ballina Inspectorate at this time - Education Week, 1959 - and their origins.